If it only so easy! All right now let us begin to look at this issue.
Now as a Teacher running a class is not as easy as it looks. Everyday will bring new challenges and issues that will try to turn your classroom into a jungle.
So what to do? Let us start off with some ideas and dreams that a lot of folks have. But have not worked at least for me.
Here is the 1st One – The Army Drill Sgt. Mode
Having been in the US Army. I can tell you that at times. That this works a little but not for long. In that you get tired very quickly and the Students are quickly turned off!
Plus this can happen now in the Age of Helicopter Parents & Cell Phones.
Or how about being your Students friends. Nah I do not think so! As it is another great way to end your teaching career!
Okay so what do you propose instead?
Glad that you asked! So here goes on what I learned in 24 years of teaching in an inner city classroom.
- Most Students want to know where they stand and what is expected of them.
- Yes they are some spawns of Satan out there. But not too many fortunately.
- Most kids want to learn something but not everything that you want to teach.
- Your most powerful tool is your mouth & it is also your worst enemy.
- Your mantra should be firm, fair & consistantancy.
- You must set the example for your students to follow.
- Your rules for OUR classroom should be clear, simple and understandable.
- You will be tested on this everyday. But if you can stand the gaff, then you will slowly win over the majority of your students. More later Grumpy